The Gaja family settled in Piedmont in the mid-seventeenth century. Four generations have succeeded in producing wine since Giovanni Gaja in 1859, founded the winery in Barbaresco in the Langhe. Angelo, son of John, is the second generation. He married Clotilde Rey, who is credited traditionally credited with having imposed in the current company’s production philosophy, oriented towards high-quality wine. The exponent of the third generation Giovanni Gaja was the son of Clotilde and Angelo Gaja, who died in 2002. Angelo Gaja, the current owner, joined the company in 1961 and made his own choices that were already his father and grandfather. He worked to spread the knowledge of state and Barbaresco in foreign markets.